By Jacek Michałski
Blackjack is one of the most popular games available in online casinos in the modern world. The game has a rich history, but gone are the days when it was mostly available in American casinos as it is now available worldwide. It is also one of the best online strategy games.
Some of the questions that run through the minds of newbies are: Can one make money playing online blackjack? Are there strategies for blackjack online that will increase the chances of winning? The answer to both questions is yes.
When Casino Games expert, Jacek Michałski, is not playing blackjack online, then you will find him gathering information on how to win in an online casino. Let’s have a look at this handy guide the author has compiled for players in search of the various blackjack strategies.
The different variants on online blackjack
Someone who has never played in a casino online PL might tend to think that all blackjack games are the same, which is not true. There are different variants that you have to familiarize yourself with and increase your chances of winning.
We recommend you get acquainted with the rules before you start gambling. Learning mobile play strategies and understanding the variants of online blackjack also makes it easy to understand what to expect when you land in a casino.
Classic Live Blackjack
It can be described as the basis of this popular game. Classic live blackjack is played on a classic table and comes with a deck of 52 cards. A player will win when he or she has more points than the dealer at the end of the round of play. However, the points should not exceed 21 points and if the player goes over 21 he or she will automatically lose. If the dealer goes over 21 and the player remains with a non-busted hand, then the player will automatically win.
This online version can be described as a game of speed. It follows similar rules to other versions but players do not have to wait until their turn to make a move.
Atlantic City Live Blackjack
The player can exit the round (surrender) directly after receiving two cards from the live dealer. This option is the main difference between the Atlantic City version of the game and classic blackjack. Surrender is a desirable player rule.
This version can have two or three live dealers. However, the player will only deal with one dealer.
Blackjack Side Bets
These blackjack games have additional options to make side wagers. Of course, most blackjack games offer insurance, which is also a side bet. But we are referring to side bets such as Royal Match, Super Sevens, Bonus Blackjack, Perfect Pairs, etc. Be careful though: Most side bets have a high percentage edge against you but a larger payoff if you win.
Spanish 21 and Other Variants
These blackjack games vary and have unique rules and conditions. For example, in Spanish 21, all of the tens have been removed but some of the rules will have been improved to make the game playable.
Understand it is a simple game but strategy wins
Most people who visit an online casino rely on luck when they are playing blackjack. The fact that the casino’s advantage over the player is lower than in other online games seems attractive to players. However, you need more than luck to increase your chances of winning. Keep on reading to learn the basics of winning blackjack play!
- A player competes against the house and the aim here is to beat the dealer by scoring closer to 21 points (without busting) than the dealer or allowing the dealer to bust.
- The game is played between one and eight decks of 52 cards.
- Kings, Queens, and Jacks are worth 10 points.
- Cards from 2 to 10 are played at their face value.
- Aces are worth 1 or 11 (depending on how you want to play your hand)
- A blackjack (an Ace + Ten valued card) can pay either 3 to 2 or 6 to 5. Obviously, it is better to play in games where blackjacks pay 3 to 2.
- Ask for one or more cards if you think it is appropriate and will improve your hand.
- You can stand with any 2 cards, however, it is often advisable to stand when the dealer has a small card (2-6) and you have a 12-16, thus hoping the dealer will bust (go over 21).
- When you have a soft hand (Ace + any other card), it is often advisable to double when the dealer has a small card.
- You can split any two identical cards and then play with two hands, at the same time, in the normal way.
- Splitting can be very advantageous in the right circumstances, especially if the dealer has a small card showing.
- You can double your bet when you have advantageous hands like 9, 10 and 11 and especially so if the dealer is showing a small card.
- Always stand on your hand once you have a hard total of 17.
For better information on specific player strategies, refer to the blackjack basic strategies in the Encyclopedia of Blackjack on this web site. Also, a more detailed description of blackjack rules and options is available. Following these strategies for online blackjack or even counting cards is not a win guarantee. However, if you use the strategies listed here you may increase your odds of winning and enjoy the game more. Also, don’t forget to take advantage of any online casino promotions and/or bonuses that may be offered when you first sign up!